The GCS sets out “the Government’s plan to develop its capability as a construction client and act as an exemplary client across the industry”, with the principal objectives being to:
- improve central government’s capability as a construction client;
- embed and increase the use of digital technology, including BIM;
- deploy collaborative procurement techniques to enable early contractor involvement, develop skills capacity and capability and promote fair payment; and
- enable and drive whole-life approaches to cost and carbon reduction across construction, operation and maintenance.
- confirms the Government’s commitment to invest over £100 billion in infrastructure by 2020-21;
- for the first time sets out how infrastructure will support large scale housing and regeneration projects and key social infrastructure, such as schools and hospitals;
- sets out the Government’s detailed plans in respect of, amongst others; roads, rail, airports, energy, communications, flood defence, water and waste; and
- includes details of the plans to improve delivery and performance and the monitoring and reporting of progress against the NIDP.